September 1, 2001
In 1952 Le Corbusier was commissioned "to dwell in the silence of men of
prayer and study and to construct a church for them". The result was his
impressive Convent of La Tourette, marking a significant step in modern
Beginning with the rectangular form common to the Cirstercian monastic
tradition, he created a building whose stark form contrasts beautifully with the
organic elements of the interior court and the grasslands surrounding it.
The church itself is a model of simplicity, the cement has been left rough
and the well located sources of light evoke a feeling of silence and reflection.
The order's precept of prayer, study and reflection is aptly mirrored in the
144 p., 22 x 13 cm